Phalodi is a city and a municipality in Jodhpur district in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is the headquarters for Phalodi tehsil. Phalodi is also called the "salt city" due to the concentration of a large number of salt industries located in the area.HistoryPhalodi was initially called Phalvardhika. In Vikram Samvat 1515, Shri Siddhuji Kalla have founded Phalodi by grass of Shri Maa Latiyal with named as Phalvaridhika, which was later renamed as "Phalodi" at the request of Phala, the widowed daughter of Shri Sidhu Kalla, who gave a generous contribution in cash to build the fort of Phalodi.It is situated on the Jodhpur-Jaisalmer railway line. It is the second largest town in the district and is also the sub-divisional headquarters. The town is situated at distance of 140km from Jodhpur. The present population of the town, as per census 2001, is 44,756. A number of Government and semi government offices are situated in the town. Phalodi is surrounded by Bikaner, Nagaur and Jaisalmer Districts. It is well-connected by road and railway. The railway station of the town was established in 1914. National Highway 15 (Pathankot-Kandla) and State Highway No. 2 (Jodhpur- Jaisalmer) pass through the town.It is well known for the migratory bird "Kurja" (crane). The village Khichan is hardly 4km away from Phalodi. Bawari Kalan and Bawari Khurd are situated 15and from Phalodi, respectively. The villages of Sevad Rajpurohits spiritual guru's of Rathore Rajput here. There are lots of government servants, businessmen and well-educated engineers spread all over India and even in foreign as well. The town is a prime place for commercial and industrial activity of surrounding hinterlands. Phalodi was established in mid-15th century. In 1488, a Fort was constructed by Hamir Singh, the grandson of Rao Suja. He did a number of developmental works during his period. In 1230, famous Kalyan Raoji's Temple was constructed. The temple of Goddess Latiyal Devi and Shantinath are some of the oldest temples of the town. The Parsnath Jain temple, established in 1847 by the Oswal Jain community, has been made only in stone and does not have any girders or RCC construction. It is made of old Belgium glass. This Jain temple is considered a marvel in architecture (total of 10 Jain temples and 6 dadabadis).