Cambridge Springs is a home rule municipality, formerly a borough, in Crawford County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,363 at the 2000 census.HistoryThe village of Cambridge was settled in 1822 and was named for the town of Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was incorporated into the borough of Cambridgeboro on April 3, 1866.In the late nineteenth century, Cambridgeboro was known for its mineral springs. The discovery of the springs eventually led to renaming of borough to Cambridge Springs on April 1, 1897. It was a resort town featuring a variety of hotels including the Rider Hotel, which burned down in 1931. Only one of these hotels, the Riverside Inn, remains in active use today and has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1978. Also listed on the National Register of Historic Places are the Cambridge Springs Bridge and Amos Kelly House.In 1904, the Rider Hotel in Cambridge Springs was the site of a famous chess tournament won by Frank Marshall ahead of World Champion Emanuel Lasker and fourteen other players. A variation of the Queen's Gambit Declined opening played several times there is today known as the Cambridge Springs Defense (1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Nbd7 5.e3 c6 6.Nf3 Qa5 in algebraic notation).